1/18/2013

Bible Verses in Song: “Whom Shall I Fear

A song that resonates with me is Chris Tomlin's “Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies)” composed by Ed Cash, Scott Cash, and Chris Tomlin. I think one reason it resonates with me so much is that the words paraphrase or capture ideas described in scripture. If you've never heard the song and would like to, or if you have heard it and would like to again, follow this link to Chris Tomlin's VEVO site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkImV2cJDg. As an exercise, I tried to pinpoint verses that verify the soundness of the song's lyrics. This is what I came up with.

I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear to me, and hear my speech. (Psalm 17:6)
But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble. (Psalm 59:16)
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. (Psalm 139:11–12)
God, whose word word I praise,
God I trust; I do not fear.
What can mere flesh do to me?
(Psalm 56:4; LEB)
I have pursued mine enemies, and destroyed them; and turned not again until I had consumed them. And I have consumed them, and wounded them, that they could not arise: yea, they are fallen under my feet. For thou hast girded me with strength to battle: them that rose up against me hast thou subdued under me. (2 Sam 22:38–40)
Happy art thou, O Israel: who is like unto thee, O people saved by the Lord, the shield of thy help, and who is the sword of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall be found liars unto thee; and thou shalt tread upon their high places. (Deut 33:29)
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me. (Psalm 138:7)
God I trust; I do not fear.
What can mere humankind do to me?
(Psalm 56:11; LEB)
The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe. (Prov 18:10)
I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour. (Isa 43:11)
And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. (Psalm 50:15)
O sing unto the Lord a new song; for He hath done marvelous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory. (Psalm 98:1)
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?
(Psalm 27:1; ESV)
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord. (Isa 54:17)
In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also. The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land. (Psalm 95:4–5)
But cleave unto the Lord your God, as ye have done unto this day…. One man of you shall chase a thousand: for the Lord your God, he it is that fighteth for you, as he hath promised you. (Josh 23:8,10)
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations…. (Psalm 89:1)
And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O Lord: thy faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints…. (Psalm 89:5)
O Lord God of hosts, who is a strong Lord like unto thee? or to thy faithfulness round about thee? (Psalm 89:8)
For ye shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight: for the Lord will go before you; and the God of Israel will be your rearward. (Isa 52:12)
Bless the Lord, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word. Bless ye the Lord, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure. (Psalm 103:20–21)
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. (Deut 31:6)
The Lord shall reign for ever and ever. (Ex 15:18)
But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend. (Isa 41:8)
The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them. (Psalm 34:7)
And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed. (Deut 31:8)

Scripture quotations marked (LEB) are from Lexham English Bible. Copyright 2012 Logos Bible Software. Lexham is a registered trademark of Logos Bible Software.
See http://lexhamenglishbible.com/license/ for license information.

Scripture quotations marked (ESV) are from the ESV* Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version*), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
In the acknowledgment above, fair use constitutes permission. See https://www.crossway.org/support/esv-bible-permissions/ for information on copyright and permissions.

All other scripture quoted from the King James Version of the Bible. The KJV is public domain in the United States. See version information here: https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/King-James-Version-KJV-Bible/#vinfo.

Post a comment

Note: Comments are open to all—anyone can comment and anyone can read comments. If you'd rather send me a private message, fill out the Contact Form (located just below the Subscribe and Follow by Email sections). The Contact Form works beautifully. I tried it out myself.

Thanks for reading! It's great to hear from you. -J

  1. Awesome! thanks for posting those. Exactly the kind of scripture verses I needed to reflect on today.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently discovered this song and it's one of the top 12 on my ipod! Thank you for sharing the Scripture. :)

    P.S. "God of Angel Armies" is The Message Bible's translation for "God of hosts".

    ReplyDelete