10/26/2011

A Blasphemous Brain

Intellect says,

  • I believe that God created the heavens and the earth in six days and on the seventh day He rested (Gen 1:1–2:23);
  • I believe that God valued man highly from the very beginning because He created man in His image and gave him dominion over all His other living creations (Gen 1:26–31, 2:19);
  • I believe that God breathed the breath of life into the first human (Gen 2:7) and continues to supply each one of us with the breath of life today (Acts 17:24–28);
  • I believe that every person to ever walk this earth (with the exception of one man who will shortly be named) has sinned against and rejected his/her Creator and Life Preserver (Rom 3:23);
  • I believe that because each one of us has sinned, God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to this earth to save us from our sins (John 3:17);
  • I believe that Christ always did (and still does) His Father's will (Luke 2:49; Mark 19:46);
  • I believe that Christ fulfilled His Father's will by bearing our temptations, sorrows, beatings, humiliations, and sins, and by facing total separation from His God and Father on the cross (Heb 2:17–18, Matt 26:36–38, Matt 26:66–67, Matt 27:27–31, 2 Cor 5:21, and Matt 27:46, respectively);
  • God's motive for all that He did, does, and will do is “love” (1 John 4:8–10).

Intellect believes all of those things are true (and provides ample evidence for these assertions), and yet Emotion feels that the following is true (enter blasphemy):

“Love” is impatient and unkind; “love” envies and boasts; “love” is arrogant and rude. It insists on getting its own way; it is irritable and resentful; it rejoices at wrongdoing, but does not rejoice in the truth; it does not bear all things, does not believe all things, does not hope all things, does not endure all things. “Love” will end. (Grossly distorted 1 Cor 13:4–8)

Intellect knows that distortion is a lie. For truth, see the real 1 Cor 13:4–8. This distortion of “love” is a wall between me and others, and more importantly and devastatingly, between me and God. In 1 John 4:8, John writes, “God is love.” Emotion immediately kicks in and scratches out the word “love” and replaces it with “a lie.” Intellect knows that THAT is a lie. But the lie feels stronger than the truth. There is a constant brain battle between Intellect and Emotion. When I can quiet my brain enough to listen, these are the words I need to hear:

Prov 3:5—Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

Scripture quotations are from (and grossly distorted from) the ESV* Bible. In other words…

Scripture quotations are from the ESV* Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version*), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

In the acknowledgment above, fair use constitutes permission. See https://www.crossway.org/support/esv-bible-permissions/ for information on copyright and permissions.

Post a comment

Note: Comments are open to all—anyone can comment and anyone can read comments. If you'd rather send me a private message, fill out the Contact Form (located just below the Subscribe and Follow by Email sections). The Contact Form works beautifully. I tried it out myself.

Thanks for reading! It's great to hear from you. -J

  1. Hi there.
    I stumbled on this blog, and I like what I've read so far. If you don't mind, I'd like to follow you. And I see you're trying to cope with PTSD. I'm trying to cope with bulimia, and that's what my blog has been about, if you're interested.

    God bless, and you're going to get through this.

    P.S. I like your writing style!

    ReplyDelete